Enter the tenth British Contemporary Piano Competition. The deadline for applications is 1 October 2016
Total playing time: 20 minutes
The competitor must perform at least two works:
• a work or movement from the piano works of Bartók, Bax, Copland, Hindemith, Ireland, Ives, Janácek, Nielsen, Stravinsky or Schoenberg; and
• a work chosen by the competitor, published or unpublished, composed since 1980.
Total playing time: 25 minutes
The competitor must perform:
• SET PIECE
and works chosen from the following:
• Berio Sequenza IV (Universal)
• Carter Sonata - first movement (Mercury)
• Crumb Processional* (Peters)
• Finnissy Any piano work (Oxford)
• Ligeti Études for piano - own selection (Schott)
• Messiaen Any solo work (Leduc, Universal, Durand)
• Rzewski Any piano work (Zen-on Piano Library)
• Sciarrino One of the Sonatas (Ricordi)
• Stockhausen Piano Piece 9 or 10 (Universal)
• Tippett One of the Piano Sonatas (or movement) (Schott)
• Ustwolskaya One of the Sonatas (Sikorski)
• Xenakis Mists (Salabert)
*Competitors choosing this work should not take the ossia which requires playing on the inside of the piano.
Round 3 (final)
Total playing time: 45 minutes
The competitor must perform the following works:
• a) SET PIECE, usually for piano and tape; and
• b) their own choice of works composed since 1980, including at least one work by a British composer. One of the works may have been performed in an earlier round.
Repertoire is listed for guidance only. The final repertoire list will be published in due course.